This active ingredient is classified in the group of antidepressants but also has sedative effects. Therefore, this medicine is indicated for the symptomatic treatment of depressive states, associated or not with anxiety, which often is added to these states.
Medizzine recommends consulting your doctor if you are unsure (or you do not know) why you have been given trazodone.
Other ingredients of available commercial presentations:
Depending on the presentation of the product and the country where is marketed, the tablets containing trazodone may contain several of the following excipients:
Calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate, povidone, lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, cochineal red A (Ponceau 4R), croscarmellose sodium, sunset yellow dye, titanium dioxide Eudragit E 12.5%, micronized talc, corn starch, hypromellose, propylene glycol, sodium starch glycolate and red iron oxide
The composition of the various presentations may vary from one country to another. We recommend you consult the information provided by your local supplier.
Do not use trazodone
If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to trazodone or any of the other ingredients of the medicinal product prescribed to you. If you think may be allergic, ask your doctor.
Allergy symptoms may include:
- Asthma attacks with shortness of breath, audible wheezing or rapid breathing.
- More or less sudden swelling of the face, lips, tongue or elsewhere in the body. It is especially critical if it affects the vocal cords.
- Hives, itching, rash
- Anaphylactic shock (loss of consciousness, paleness, sweating, etc.).
Nor you should take this medicine:
- If you have recently had a heart attack (risk of arrhythmias)
- If you drink excessive alcohol
- If you take medicines for sleeping
- If you are under 18 years.
If this situation can be applied to you or you are not sure, tell your doctor before taking this medicine.
Take special care with trazodone
- If you have or have had seizures or convulsions
- If you have a serious disease of the liver, heart or kidney
- If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breastfeeding your baby
- If you have hyperthyroidism (excessive functioning of the thyroid gland)
- If you have difficulty passing urine or does it more often than normal
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma
- If you have schizophrenia or other severe mental disorder
- If you are over 65, since you could suffer more easily adverse effects.
Suicidal thoughts and worsening of depression or anxiety disorder:
As with other antidepressants, suicidal thoughts may occur during treatment with trazodone, especially during the first few days after you start taking it because the drug is likely to produce an effect from the next two or three weeks after starting treatment.
The more prone patients to have suicidal thoughts and self-harm attempts include:
- Patients who have already had these ideas or attempted suicide previously
- Patients younger than 25 years, especially with previous episodes of depression
If you have thoughts of self- harming or ending your life, see your doctor immediately or go to the nearest hospital.
It is useful to tell someone you trust (family member, friend, co-worker) that you are depressed or have anxiety and ask him to read the warnings included on leaflet accompanying the drug's package, thereby informing about the risks to which you are exposed. Also, ask this person if he or she thinks your condition is worsening or your behavior is changing.
It is advisable to perform white blood cell counts in patients receiving trazodone which have a sore throat, fever or other signs of infection or blood disorders. Your doctor may recommend discontinuation of treatment if white blood cells or a part of them experienced a significant decrease.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medicine only for you. Never give it to someone else.
If in doubt, consult your doctor.
Taking other medicines
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including herbal products or drugs obtained without a prescription.
Especially, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking:
The medicines listed below may influence the effect of trazodone or vice versa:
- MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors), such as antidepressants (tranylcypromine, phenelzine, and isocarboxazid) or medicines for Parkinson's disease (selegiline) or you have taken any of these drugs during the past two weeks
- Other antidepressants, such as Tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline) or SSRIs (fluoxetine),
- sedatives or hypnotics (to induce sleep)
- Medicines to treat seizures, such as phenytoin or carbamazepine
- Drugs to treat high blood pressure, such as clonidine
- Medicines to treat heart failure, such as digoxin
- Drugs for the treatment of fungal diseases, such as itraconazole or ketoconazole
- Drugs for the treatment of infections with the AIDS virus (ritonavir, indinavir)
- Erythromycin, an antibiotic often used
- Levodopa, a drug for Parkinson's disease
- Hypericum or St. John's wort, a medicinal plant used for episodes of mild to moderate depression
- Anticoagulant drugs, such as warfarin or acenocoumarol.
Use of anesthetics:
if you are going to receive an anesthetic for surgery, tell your doctor before taking trazodone.
Use with food and beverages
Avoid alcohol while on treatment with trazodone. This active ingredient should be taken after eating if taken in divided doses, or at bedtime if you do as a single dose.
Pregnancy and lactation
always consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine during pregnancy or lactation.
Consult your doctor before taking trazodone if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or think you may be pregnant. This medication should not be used during pregnancy unless, in the opinion of the doctor, the potential benefits outweigh the risks to the fetus derived from its use.
Taking this medicine during late pregnancy may cause withdrawal symptoms in the newborn.
If you are breastfeeding, consult your doctor before taking this antidepressant.
This drug is not recommended for patients younger than 18 years.
Patients over 65 or those who are weak should receive a lower dose than that of younger adults.
Driving and using machines
Trazodone may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Check if you tolerated properly the drug or, otherwise, avoid driving or operating potentially dangerous machinery, both for your safety as that of others.
Follow carefully instructions of use of trazodone provided from your doctor. Consult your doctor or pharmacist when in doubt. Follow the instructions of the physician in preference to those given in this website, which may be different. Ask your doctor to explain any aspect that you do not understand, contained in the instruction leaflet that comes with the medicine.
The drug should be swallowed whole, accompanied by a glass of water, without chewing or crushing it. It is preferable to take it with food or after these, in order to reduce the risk of possible gastric side effects.
If your doctor has told you to take it once a day, you should do it just before bedtime.
Treatment of depression:
The doctor will establish in a personalized way for each patient the starting dose and subsequent adjustments. The usual starting dose is 100-150 mg a day, which the doctor can increase up to double or more, depending on the patient's situation and the response to treatment.
Treatment of anxiety:
The starting doses are generally lower than in the case of depression. Typically, 75 mg a day, which can be increased to 300 mg or more, if the case requires it.
In elderly and debilitated patients Is recommended to start treatment with a lower dose than those of adults, for example, 50-100 mg a day. Subsequent adjustments will depend on the patient's response and tolerance to trazodone.
Patients with impaired liver function:
This drug is metabolized in the liver for to be removed after. Patients with alteration of this organ may have a limited ability for drug elimination, so the doctor will act with the necessary caution in each case, by reducing the dose, and periodically checking the status of the patient.
Patients with impaired kidney function:
Only in cases of severe renal impairment, caution should be exercised and may be required dosage adjustment.
If you think the effect of the medicine is too strong or too weak, consult your doctor.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
If a doctor prescribes another medicine, tell you are taking trazodone.
Check with your doctor regularly developments of disorder that motivates the use of trazodone. Maybe there is some reason that prevented you properly receive the indicated doses and induce your doctor to erroneous conclusions about treatment.
Do not restart treatment with trazodone at your own risk without first talking to your doctor, nor encourage its use by another person, even if have the same symptoms you have. Nor is it advisable to interrupt or reduce the dose without considering the opinion of your doctor.
If you feel unwell during treatment with trazodone, immediately consult your doctor.
If you take more than you should:
The following effects may occur: feeling dizzy or unwell, drowsiness, dizziness or fainting, seizures, mental confusion and respiratory or cardiac problems.Even if you feel well, immediately consult your doctor or pharmacist or go to the emergency department of the nearest hospital. Take the container with you, even if it is empty.
If you forget to take trazodone
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if the next dose is very close, wait until be the time for taking it and skip the missed dose.
Do not take a double dose (two doses at once) to make up for missed doses.
If you stop taking trazodone
Continue taking the medicine until the doctor tells you otherwise. Do not stop taking trazodone, even if you are well. The doctor will indicate you how to gradually withdraw the medicine when to be necessary. Otherwise, your health may experience worsening.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Like all medicines, trazodone can cause side effects although not everybody gets them.
The frequency of side effects is classified into:
Very common: affect 1 out of 1-10 patients
Common: affect 1 out of 10-100 patients
Uncommon: affect 1 out of 100-1.000 patients
Rare: affect 1 out of 1.000-10.000 patients
Very Rare: affect less than 1 in 10,000 patients
Incidence not known: Can not be established the true incidence from the available data
Immediately discontinue treatment and contact your doctor or go to the nearest hospital if you notice:
- Urticaria and itchy skin, swelling of hands, feet, ankles, face, lips and throat which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing (angioedema). You may be having an allergic reaction to this drug.
- spontaneous, painful, persistent erection of the penis (priapism), unrelated to sexual arousal
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice), which could be due to a liver disorder
- To suffer from infections more easily and frequently than previously which could be due to an alteration of the blood (agranulocytosis)
- Having bruise more easily than normal; This could be due to a blood disorder (thrombocytopenia)
- Severe abdominal pain and bloating, together with vomiting and constipation. It is possible that these symptoms are due to a malfunction of the bowel (paralytic ileus).
Consult your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following side effects::
- Suicidal thoughts or self-harm
- Feeling tired, weak, dizzy or having pale skin. These could be symptoms of anemia
- Perceive unusual sensations in the skin, such as tingling numbness, punctures burning or other strange sensations (paresthesia)
- You have a feeling of confusion restlessness sweating, tremors, hallucinations, sudden jerking of muscles (myoclonus) or rapid heartbeat. This may be due to a condition called serotonin syndrome
- If you feel very bad, have shortness of breath (dyspnea), have difficulty walking or you walk shuffling, have tremors or involuntary muscle spasms and elevated temperature (greater than 38 ° C). This could correspond to a rare condition called neuroleptic malignant syndrome
- Fast, slow or irregular heartbeats.
Other possible side effects:
- Drowsiness, tiredness, decreased alertness or activity in general
- Discomfort, nausea, vomiting or indigestion
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Dry mouth, taste disturbances, secrete more saliva than normal, nasal obstruction
- Sweating more than usual
Dizziness, headache, confusion, weakness, tremor (shaking)
- Blurred vision
- Loss of appetite and/or Weight loss
- Dizziness when standing up or sitting down quickly (postural hypotension), fainting (syncope)
- Restlessness or difficulty sleeping
- Water retention in the body, which can cause swelling of the arms or legs
- Rash or itchy skin
- Chest pain, in the extremities, back, muscle or joint pain
- jerky movements that can not be controlled, especially in the arms and legs
- frequent infections with high fever, chills, sore throat or mouth ulcers. These symptoms could correspond to disorders of white blood cells (leukopenia)
- Feeling more anxious or more nervous than usual, agitation
- Hyperactive behavior or thoughts (mania), delusions (believing things that are not true), altered memory
- Having nightmares
- Lack or reduction of sexual desire
- Vertigo (feeling that things go round)
- Elevated blood pressure
- flu-like sensation
- Slurred speech
- Altered blood tests: Elevated white blood cells, decreased white blood cell, red blood cell, and platelet count, elevated liver enzymes
- Feeling tired, weak and confused, with sore muscles, stiff or does not function normally, headache, loss of appetite, nausea or vomiting and convulsions. These manifestations may be due to low blood sodium.
This list does not include all adverse reactions associated with the use of trazodone, both well established as those that are under consideration or confirmation. In case you feel unwell, should immediately consult with the doctor who prescribed this medicine.
If you notice any side effects not listed in this website or in the leaflet accompanying the package, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
If any of the side effects gets serious, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
This page contains list of brands of authorized pharmaceutical specialties of the active principle trazodone in the countries listed below:
[ Australia] [ Brazil] [ Canada] [ France] [ Germany] [ India] [ Italy] [ Japan] [ Mexico] [ Pakistan] [ Puerto Rico] [ Spain] [ Turkey] [ United Kingdom] [ U.S.A]
Given the nature of the pharmaceutical market, some specialties may be unavailable, have been removed from the pharmaceutical market or have changed its name. So that, in no case can take decisions based on the information contained on the page. MEDIZZINE is not responsible for any damage arising from the information provided, which may be incomplete or outdated.
With exceptions expressly indicated, these lists do not include active principle associations with other drugs or clinical use containers.
DONAREN 50 mg, 60 tablets
DONAREN 100 mg, 20 and 30 tablets
DONAREN RETARD 150 mg, 20 extended-release tablets
APO-TRAZODONE 50 mg, 100 tablets
APO-TRAZODONE 100 mg, 100 tablets
APO-TRAZODONE D 150 mg, 100 tablets
DOM-TRAZODONE 50 mg, 100 tablets
DOM-TRAZODONE 100 mg, 100 tablets
MYLAN-TRAZODONE 50 mg, 100 tablets
MYLAN-TRAZODONE 100 mg, 100 tablets
MYLAN-TRAZODONE 150 mg, 100 tablets
OLEPTRO 150 mg, 10, 30 and 90 extended-release caplets
OLEPTRO 300 mg, 30 and 90 extended-release caplets
PHL-TRAZODONE 50 mg, 100 tablets
PHL-TRAZODONE 100 mg, 100 tablets
PMS TRAZODONE 100 mg, 100 tablets
PMS TRAZODONE 50 mg, 100 tablets
PMS-TRAZODONE 75 mg, 100 tablets
RATIO-TRAZODONE 50 mg, 100 tablets
RATIO-TRAZODONE 100 mg, 100 tablets
RATIO-TRAZODONE 150 mg, 100 tablets
TEVA-TRAZODONE 50 mg, 100 tablets
TEVA-TRAZODONE 100 mg, 100 tablets
TEVA-TRAZODONE 150 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE SANIS HEALTH 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE SANIS HEALTH 100 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE SANIS HEALTH 150 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE-50 PRO DOC 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE-100 PRO DOC 100 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE-150 D PRO DOC 150 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZOREL 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZOREL 100 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZOREL 150 mg, 100 tablets
ZYM-TRAZODONE 50 mg, 100 tablets
ZYM-TRAZODONE 75 mg, 100 tablets
ZYM-TRAZODONE 100 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODON HEXAL 100 mg, 20 50-100 tablets
TRAZODON-NEURAXPHARM 100 mg, 20 50-100 tablets
DEPRYL 25 mg, tablets
DEPRYL 50 mg, tablets
DEPRYL 100 mg, tablets
TAZODAC 25 mg, tablets
TAZODAC 50 mg, tablets
TRAZALON 25 mg, tablets
TRAZALON 50 mg, tablets
TRAZANIL 25 mg, tablets
TRAZANIL 50 mg, tablets
TRAZANIL 100 mg, tablets
TRAZE 25 mg, tablets
TRAZE 50 mg, tablets
TRAZE 100 mg, tablets
TRAZOMET 25 mg, tablets
TRAZOMET 50 mg, tablets
TRAZONIL 25 mg, tablets
TRAZONIL 50 mg, tablets
TRAZONIL 100 mg, tablets
TRIDON 25 mg, tablets
TRIDON 50 mg, tablets
TRIDON 100 mg, tablets
TRITTICO 25 mg, tablets
TRITTICO 50 mg, tablets
ZOPOTOL 25 mg, tablets
ZOPOTOL 50 mg, tablets
ZOPOTOL 100 mg, tablets
TRITTICO 50 mg/5 ml, injectable solution
TRITTICO 25 mg/ml , 30 ml otal drops
TRITTICO 50 mg, 30 tablets
TRITTICO 75 mg, 30 tablets
TRITTICO 100 mg, 30 tablets
TRITTICO 150 mg, 30 tablets
DESYREL 25 mg, tablets
DESYREL 50 mg, tablets
RESLIN 25 mg, tablets
RESLIN 50 mg, tablets
TRAZODONE AMEL 25 mg, tablets
TRAZODONE AMEL 50 mg, tablets
SIDERIL 50 mg, 20 capsules
SIDERIL 100 mg, 20 capsules
SIDERIL 50 mg, njectable solution
DEPREL 50 mg, tablets
DEPREL 100 mg, tablets
TRAZOLAM 50 mg, tablets
TRAZOLAM 100 mg, tablets
TRODINE 50 mg, tablets
TRODINE 100 mg, tablets
DEPRAX 100 mg, 30 and 60 tablets
DESYREL 50 mg, 30 tablets
DESYREL 100 mg, 30 tablets
United Kingdom: ▲
MOLIPAXIN 50 mg, capsules
MOLIPAXIN 100 mg, capsules
MOLIPAXIN 150 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE AAH PHARMA 50 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE AAH PHARMA 100 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE AAH PHARMA 150 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE AAH PHARMA 50 mg/5 ml, oral solution
TRAZODONE ACTAVIS 50 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ACTAVIS 100 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ACTAVIS 150 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ALLIANCE HEALTHCARE 50 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ALLIANCE HEALTHCARE 100 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ALLIANCE HEALTHCARE 150 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ALLIANCE HEALTHCARE 50 mg/5 ml, oral solution
TRAZODONE CREO PHARMA 50 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE CREO PHARMA 100 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE CREO PHARMA 150 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE FOCUS PHARMA 50 mg/5 ml, oral solution
TRAZODONE KENT PHARMA 50 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE KENT PHARMA 100 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE KENT PHARMA 150 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE TEVA 150 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ZENTIVA 50 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ZENTIVA 100 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ZENTIVA 150 mg, capsules
TRAZODONE ZENTIVA 50 mg/5 ml, oral solution
U.S.A. and Puerto Rico: ▲
OLEPTRO 150 mg, 30 extended-release tablets
OLEPTRO 300 mg, 30 extended-release tablets
TRAZODONE A-S MEDICATION SOLUTIONS 50 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE A-S MEDICATION SOLUTIONS 100 mg, 30, 60 and 90 tablets
TRAZODONE AIDAREX 50 mg, 10-120 tablets
TRAZODONE AIDAREX 100 mg, 14, 30 and 60 tablets
TRAZODONE AIDAREX 150 mg, 14, 30 and 60 tablets
TRAZODONE APOTEX 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE APOTEX 100 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE APOTEX 150 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE APOTEX 300 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE BARR 300 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE CONTRACT PHARMACY SERVICES 50 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE CONTRACT PHARMACY SERVICES 100 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE GOLDLINE 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE GOLDLINE 100 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE MAJOR 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE MAJOR 100 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE MUTUAL PHARMA 50 mg, 30 and 100 tablets
TRAZODONE MUTUAL PHARMA 100 mg, 30 and 100 tablets
TRAZODONE MUTUAL PHARMA 150 mg, 30 and 100 tablets
TRAZODONE PLIVA 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE PD-RX 50 mg, 7-90 tablets
TRAZODONE PD-RX 100 mg, 30, 60 and 90 tablets
TRAZODONE PLIVA 100 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE PLIVA 150 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE QUALITEST 50 mg, 15-100 tablets
TRAZODONE QUALITEST 100 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE REMEDYREPACK 150 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE REBEL 50 mg, 30, 60, 90 and 120 tablets
TRAZODONE REBEL 100 mg, 30, 60 and 90 tablets
TRAZODONE REBEL 150 mg, 60 and 90 tablets
TRAZODONE AMERICAN HEALTH PACK 150 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE BLENHEIM PHARMACAL 50 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE BLENHEIM PHARMACAL 150 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE BRYANT RANCH PREPACK 50 mg, 20-100 tablets
TRAZODONE BRYANT RANCH PREPACK 100 mg, 10-120 tablets
TRAZODONE CARDINAL HEALTH 50 mg, 10 and 30 tablets
TRAZODONE CARDINAL HEALTH 100 mg, 10 and 30 tablets
TRAZODONE CARDINAL HEALTH 150 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE CLINICAL SOLUTIONS 50 mg, 30 and 60 tablets
TRAZODONE CLINICAL SOLUTIONS 100 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE CLINICAL SOLUTIONS 150 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE CONTRACT PHARMACY SERVICES 50 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE CONTRACT PHARMACY SERVICES 100 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE DISPENSING SOLUTIONS 50 mg, 14, 30 and 90 tablets
TRAZODONE GOLDEN STATE MED SUPP 50 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE GOLDEN STATE MED SUPP 100 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE GOLDEN STATE MED SUPP 150 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE KELTMAN PHARMA 50 mg, 30, 60 and 90 tablets
TRAZODONE KELTMAN PHARMA 100 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE LAKE ERIE 50 mg, 15-100 tablets
TRAZODONE LAKE ERIE 100 mg, 14-100 tablets
TRAZODONE LAKE ERIE 150 mg, 360, 60 and 90 tablets
TRAZODONE LEGACY PHARMA 50 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE LEGACY PHARMA 100 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE MCKESSON 50 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE MCKESSON 100 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE MEDVANTX 50 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE NCS HEALTHCARE 50 mg, 15, 30 and 31 tablets
TRAZODONE NCS HEALTHCARE 100 mg, 15, 30 and 31 tablets
TRAZODONE PD-RX 150 mg, 14 tablets
TRAZODONE PHYSICIANS TOTAL CARE 50 mg, 20-100 tablets
TRAZODONE PHYSICIANS TOTAL CARE 100 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE PHYSICIANS TOTAL CARE 150 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE PREFERRED PHARMA 50 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE PREFERRED PHARMA 100 mg, 30-100 tablets
TRAZODONE REMEDYREPACK 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE REMEDYREPACK 100 mg, 30 tablets
TRAZODONE STAT RX LLC USA 50 mg, 15-180 tablets
TRAZODONE STAT RX LLC USA 50 mg, 15-100 tablets
TRAZODONE STAT RX LLC USA 50 mg, 28-100 tablets
TRAZODONE UNIT DOSE SERVICES 50 mg, 30 and 60 tablets
TRAZODONE UNIT DOSE SERVICES 100 mg, 30 and 60 tablets
TRAZODONE WATSON 50 mg, 100 tablets
TRAZODONE WATSON 100 mg, 100 tablets
Page updated: December 14, 2010.